Life in progress ...

Life in progress ...

Thursday 22 August 2019

Deep Sea Baby: Miri 1.0

Been here for 5+ months and it's my first dive in Miri.

Have always wanted to spend my offday underwater since I started but guess I just couldn't really coped with the busy surgical posting. Currently I'm in my second rotation, Orthopaedic surgery. It is a rather chillax rotation here, where you get to eat and drink like normal ~50% of the days. And this week my schedule is arranged in a way that I get a postnight off and off day together, (thanks leader).

SO, IF NOT NOW, WHEN??

Booked my dives with Borneo Dive Network as recommended by my colleague in the hospital.

Day trips (3 dives)
RM418 including transport from accomm, gears and lunch

I joined their member in order to get them to quote me a cheaper price. However, memberships are for Mirians and those with working permit in Miri only. And they will need the members to dive at least once every 3 months.

Members price:
RM260 for 3 dives
RM20 gear rental
transportation not included
+RM50 membership registration fee



It's a nice sunny day today. Boat departed from Marina Bay Jetty at 8.40am. The Marina Bay in Miri, not the one in Singapore. keke

I don't have an underwater camera or gopro with me, and it's a big regret that I still havent invested in one, because THE UNDERWATER SIGHTINGS HERE ARE PRETTY AMAZING

Dive 33:
Kenyalang Wreck, Miri
Bottom time 40mins; Max depth 21.2m
>> An old oil well with plenty of fishes and a fun playground
## Porcupinefish- I've never seen them swimming in a group. Like everytime there'll be at least 3 swimming pass you together.
## Seasnake- I myself saw three, and they remind me of an epic patient I met recently

Dive 34:
North Siwa, Miri
Bottom time 47mins; Max depth 15.5m
>> Biggest reed in Miri
## A rather chill dive with many nudibranch sightings

Dive 35:
Anemone Garden, Miri
Bottom time 55mins; Max depth 11.3m
>> Highlight of the day (man!)
## Giant Barracuda (single) swam side by side with me!! Before we entered, dive guide told us there's this barracuda that'll always come and follow BDN's dive group. And we saw it today, it, was, huge, really giant okay. Initially it just stayed in the middle and all of us surrounded him (divers from BDN and Coco), all snapping pictures or taking videos. It's probably the star in Barracuda hahah. Then when we were swimming towards our boat, I was following the guide. As usual the guide would routinely turn back and check on us. This one time, he turned back, and he stunned for like 5s. Then he instructed me to wait, look, and pointed to my left. I turned to my left and i literally said DAFUQ with the regulator in my mouth. The barracuda was beside me. I mean. NEXT TO ME. WTF IT's DAMN HUGE about 1m in length kot. I almost shit in my pants. But it was a good exposure to me. Saw it's teeth, its scary but ugly la, is there animal dentist kah?? hahahha
## My first sightings on cuttlefish (x3), octopus (x2)
## Also found a shrimp trying to crawl out from the sandhole while a fish was spying on it. Then the fish went into the hole and attack. And then I don't know what happened underneath the sand anymore.
## Lion fish

A random selfie featuring my new hairstyle by the wind

Well, overall a great (and eye opening) experience diving here in Miri. I foresee myself to be diving more often here since I've already paid for the membership, kan.... hehe.

Note:
Lunch was not served on board but after we get back to Marina jetty. Meaning- 3 dives back to back without main meal. They do have some biscuits onboard. I hoarded on it cause I was damnnn hungry after the second dive.
After eating the lunch provided, I went to get another bowl of kolo mee from hawker stall nearby. HAHAHA that's how hungry I was.


Zoe,
22082019

No comments:

Post a Comment