Life in progress ...

Life in progress ...

Friday 3 August 2018

Heck, I climbed Mount Fuji!

Few years back, never had I thought that one day, I would climb up to the summit of Mount Fuji (Fuji-san).

January 2012:

It was the first time I saw Fuji-san. I was on my flight back to Osaka, where I'd catch my connecting flight back to KL. Looking out of the aircraft's on my window seat, the Japanese lady seated in front of me said, "え〜これわ。。富士山。。" (Eh.. this is Mount Fuji!), aloud. And this attracted almost everyone from the other side of the plane to come over our side and look out of the windows, "すごいね〜" Some were taking photos, I did too. Though at that time I thought, to be honest, the mountain looks pretty ordinary lah, except that the peak of the mountain reached beyond the clouds and covered with snow.

Then I told my sister about that. She replied, "Oh wow! That means you'll be coming back to Japan again! There has been a saying- If you see Fuji-san on your return journey, you'll definitely come back to Japan for sure!"

And I guess there it set, my unwindable fate with Japan.




- On my first visit to Japan: Hokkaido, Osaka, Tokyo -


January 2015:

My second time seeing Fujisan during my third visit to Japan. This time I made a trip to Fujikawaguchiko in the Yamanashi Prefecture, one of the best rated destination for viewing Mount Fuji together with some other tourist spots including Oshino Hakkai etc. I was there for 2 days and thankfully, I was blessed with perfect weather and clear skies in the winter days. The view of the mountain from the sea level was simply amazing and magnificent, and it left me speechless. I secretly promised myself that I will come back one day and to be submerged in this breathtaking view again. Little did I know that, people can actually climb up the active volcano.



- On my third visit to Japan: Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo, Yamanashi -

One day, I was enlightened by my sister's attempt to climb the volcano, also the highest mountain in Japan. The kiasu me can't let this happen right, so I knew, I too, have to do this one day. 

You probably know that I love sports, and I always think that sports are a good way to connect with other people. As much as I love how hiking helps us to reconnect with the nature which is often neglected, I am not a bigggg fan of hiking, though. If you ever ask me to go for a hike, I will likely say yes. But to rate this activity, on a scale of 1-10, I will give a 6.

Then I completed my medical school in February 2018. There would be a long wait before my housemanship placement, therefore I was doing some rough plans on several trips/bucket list items. Then it hits me that I have not visited Japan for more than 2 years now, and my first opportunity to visit Japan out of it's winter season. I have been to Japan for 4 times, all during winter. Can't say that I dislike their winter season, but I'd like to experience another. While I was considering to visit in spring for the Sakura season, something strikes me again: Mount Fuji is open for climbing in summer. There it is.

It was not until three weeks before the departure date that I booked my flight tickets to Tokyo, when my father kept pushing me. hahahhahaha. Well, after some researches regarding the climb, I decided to climb the mountain on my own, without taking part in a tour or following a guide. Then my family thought that it is crazy enough for me to climb the mountain without anyone I know, let alone without a guide. So okay, I asked my sister to help me book a local Japanese tour with guide, that costs me JPY13,800. The price for a local tour is about JPY10,000 (~RM360) cheaper than a tour that is catered for foreigners.

We started our ascend from the 5th Station at around 1pm, following an hour of rest & getting used the the altitude. Because we were ascending in a group of 16 people, with an Obasan & 2 kids, it took us 5 hours to reach the place we were supposed to get some rest. It is a small rest station where you can get some nap & meals before continuing the journey to the summit.





We arrived at our designated mountain hut or 'hotel' Haku-unso (白雲荘) when it was close to 6pm. After a simple dinner served, we were asked to take some power nap and we'll continue to ascend at 12am midnight. The sunrise was expected at 4.40am.

Well, I did not sleep at all. And this is bad. And I only had 2hours sleep the night before. I was so scared that I'll die actually because I wasn't feeling so well, with my quick heartbeat + lightheadedness.

We then departed again at 12am. I just popped 2 panadol before our departure and prayed for the best. It was coldddd and my lousy down jacket is so old and it feels like it is not doing anything to keep me warm LOL


The view of the climbers' headlights

When you ascend at night, and your altitude was way above the clouds, you see a blanket of stars. That was miraculous. And at one resting point, one of the girls in my group actually saw a shooting star. SAD. TOO LATE WHEN I LOOKED UP. but I still made a wish. I DON'T CARE. AHAHAHHAHAHA

Ok then we arrived at the summit, FINALLY, at about 3.45am. Because we were following the tour, we were allowed to rest in one of the house/restaurant. There I got a bowl of hot curry udon slurppp. Sorry lah, really needed alot of fuel ma to climb the mountain. hahahahahah.

Then our guide brought us to show us the volcanic crater of Mount Fuji. 

 Hahahahhaa I guess you're thinking like, uhm, the top of the mountain is not up to your expectation? Well yeah me too. but IT'S OKAY, it's the VIEW FROM THIS SUMMIT. We did not walk around the crater as according to the guide, this will take another 1.5hours. And this is not included in our package. ahahah 大丈夫ですね~

 A lot of people had already booked their spots before our arrival haha but our guide brought us to another viewing point. #insiders



And this is how shitty I look following the climb + no sleep + cold + my contact lenses were falling out from time to time + forgot to take out my retainer (smart).



Our guide, Kuro-san



My new friends, Mr Ogano & Ms Akiko, who were so excited to talk to me eventhough I can't speak Japanese and they can't understand English. But we still managed to talk for 3 hours.

Over beer.



Ice cream is irresistable

And, I have to say, bringing a portable oxygen tank with you IS SO IMPORTANT. As I said I was having quick heartbeat and lightheadedness earlier, but I had not recognised that these were all caused by altitude sickness. As a medical graduate I feel ashamed. Then when we reached the peak and while we were resting, I decided to open and breath in some oxygen lah, since I already bought it, might as well I use right. Because I've seen many people kept using it. Minutes after 3 breaths my lightheadedness was gone. *MAGIC*

Moral of the story: Do not hesitate to use your oxygen.


Still can't believe it. I was actually standing at an altitude of 3,776m above sea level. Earlier this year I started scuba diving, which had brought me to 18m below the sea level.

Because life is all about ups and downs, right?

keke.

No comments:

Post a Comment